The world, from the late twentieth century, is developing a revolution technology based Computing , which is its main thrust in the repositories and processing capacity of information technology on almost all topics and sectors.
We are experiencing a shift towards what is now known as the Society of Information, which is the fundamental computing infrastructure. Its applications have virtually come to all human activities, modifying the structures of production and marketing, the organization of institutions, generating new technologies and the diffusion of knowledge, and the provision of services, among others. Education course it is not without it.
The Technology Information Technology (IT) has become an integral part of the process of teaching learning of all Cubans adopting educational levels within this very important. Its use is almost universal although there are still doubts about this terminology, features, advantages and disadvantages.
Trying to clarify these doubts is precisely the essence of this article in which we address with language clear, without the use of technical terms, features, advantages and disadvantages of this technology from the educational point of view.
Technology has become an integral part of most of the Cuban educational institutions, although many teachers still have doubts on the subject terminology.
But what is technology?, What is called information technology?
Etymologically, the technology is the “set theories and techniques that enable the practical use of knowledge scientist. ” 
Meanwhile, the Information Technology (IT) “includes products that store, process, transmit, convert, copy or receive information electronically.” 
The important contribution of the information has been heightened by the possibility that IT has brought, arising from technological convergence of computing , microelectronics and telecommunications , to produce information in large volumes, and for future reference and pass it through enormous distances.
Information Technology has spawned an interesting change in the economy has prompted new mechanisms of production, has modified many activities in the areas political and social, as well as the use of time and lifestyle.
Hence the need for the population Cuban learns to master this technology for the development of socio economic socialism we build. That preparation and mastery of this technology have been included in the social order that the Party and the State conferred on the education of today. A new challenge for students and teachers come true with strength and mass from the 2001-2002 school years in Cuba.
Information Technology Examples include programs for specific applications, systems operational, computer systems and applications based on network, telephones and other means of telecommunication equipment video, product media and equipment office .
The books electronic, instructional programs, email programs to exchange conversations online and distance learning programs are also considered examples of information technology.
For the student and teacher information is available on previous collections out of reach, enabling its use and exploitation privilege above its storage capacity.
From the above it can be concluded that computing is changing and will further modify our daily lives, the way we view the world and relate to it.
At all levels of education has been inserted Computing as a discipline over curriculum, this insertion has been like:
Object of study: (when learning to program in any language, learning the basics of computing history. components, etc.) to learn to handle the computer with a specific purpose, for the training of specialists.
Medium of instruction: to examine how we can directly use the software for educational purposes in order of acquisition or consolidation of knowledge by the student and prime where a predominant role on their part.
Tool work : refers to the use that a student can make a computer resource for developing an action that by this means can bring benefits in saving time, reliability in the results mathematicians , saving effort, productivity , etc..
As a tool the computer includes two large groups:
The tools commonly used systems are systems developed to make more dynamic and efficient our daily work, programs that are aimed at increasing the productivity of people. Examples: processor word processors, graphics, numeric processors, music processors, handler’s databases, networks of computers.
Use specific tools: are composed of tools developed for the solution of a specific task. These tools can be used to achieve bringing you the student forms, methods and standard practices that enhance the learning environment and thus contribute to the acquisition of skills needed in the training of the student, may be used in the course of a class for certain shows but its primary use is given in extracurricular activities directly used by the student.
The Information Technology (IT) is introduced into Cuba with the following functions:
1. Transform, both natural and human social environment to better suit human needs and desires.
2. Function Fact: The content is presented through a series of activities representing and ordering reality.
3. Instructive function. Directs and regulates the learning of students as it promotes certain actions in that they facilitate the fulfillment of the objectives education. The computer generally acts as a mediator in the construction of knowledge of students, and directing the activities of the students based on their responses and progress.
4. Motivating Function: Students feel concerned and having programs that include elements that capture the attention of students. The motivating function is one of the characteristics of this type of medium of instruction, and is extremely useful for teachers.
5. Evaluation function. Through interaction with the programs and responses are assessed actions of students. This assessment can be of two types: implicit, when the student detects mistakes, is evaluated from the answers that are given explicit and when the software presents reports assessing student performance.
6. Investigative function. Some programs offer students interesting research and development environments regardless of the investigative skills computer skills.
7. Expressive function. Through interaction with the computer, students express and communicate with it and with others through activities and programs, especially when used languages programming, word processing, graphics editors, etc..
8. Metalinguistic function. By using the operating systems (MS / DOS, WINDOWS ) and programming languages (BASIC, LOGO …) students can learn their own language of computing.
9. Recreational function. Working with computers performing educational activities is a task that has often festive for students and recreational connotations.
10. Innovative function. Although not always result innovative pedagogical approaches, educational programs can be considered material and teaching with this function using a newly incorporated technology schools.
Another aspect to which we refer in this article is the advantages of use of Information Technology in the teaching-learning process.
The operations can release the automatic individual to undertake major conceptual tasks.
Media and weaker students are important to perceive stimuli that should not be bright algebraic manipulators to dominate the thinking abstractly.
The study of algorithms helps to understand the underlying nature of the operations.
Allowing the user to build more complex operations than usual resulting in better conceptual understanding.
Working with the computer provides the study of experimental factor, leading to the establishment of conjectures, examples and counter examples, simulations, etc..
Enables interactivity with students. retroalimentándolos and evaluating what they have learned through it can show the problem as such.
Facilitates animated representations.
Affects the development of skills through the workout.
Simulate processes complex.
Reduces the time available to impart a lot of knowledge by providing a differentiated work, introducing the student to work with computerized means.
Facilitates independent work while individual treatment differences, as well as skills development.
Allows the user (student) introduced in the latest techniques.
Facilitates interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary.
Enhances the educational experience of students.
Students become more productive with less effort.
The use of Information Technology, of course also disadvantages, which we state below:
Passivity: It is feared that the student, by dint of seeing television as entertainment or factual information act to a program with a computerized educational trend that automatic facilismo necessary in one case, but in the new drawback: learn certain concepts or acquire certain skills.
Abuse or misuse: Technological developments sometimes produce mirages, which lead to abuse its use, particularly in the case of computer and information networks. There are teachers who think radical changes: everything has now worked with the computer, in the computer. This leads to improper use, it is not convenient to use this technology to an action that can be performed with the same efficiency using simple means. For example, to display schematic or verbal information simultaneously to a group , the overhead projector is simple and efficient. The computer adds little and demands too much for this purpose.